image 01
IMAGE 02
IMAGE 03
IMAGE 04
IMAGE 05

Projects

St Comgalls, Bangor

Whittaker and Watt Chartered Architects were appointed to St Comgall’s Church of Ireland is located in a very prominent location in the heart of Bangor town centre at the corner of Hamilton Road and Castle Street. The church building dates back to 1899 and is a beautiful example of neo gothic (Victorian gothic) cathedral church in Ireland. The building is grade B+ listed and had originally seating capacity for more than 600 parishioners. In 2012 the building was subject to a fire that caused damage to internal fixtures and fittings including timber pews and floor. Elements of lower roof structures and stonework were also damaged.

 

After the fire the future usage of the building had been fully discussed within the community of parishioners and recent trends in church architecture considered.  It became apparent that the congregation wanted to see the building used more than just 3 hours on Sunday mornings. The design brief that the Client developed together with an extensive support of the Design Team included the creation of a multi-functional space that could be used 7 days a week for both the traditional ecclesiastical usage and also by the wider community for social use.

Client: St Comgalls Church of Ireland, Bangor Project Cost: £650, 000 Completion Date: March 2014

<< Back to Projects